Eispiraten.com Forum Index Eispiraten.com
San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly
Chantry Flats - Mt. Wilson Loop 7/10 & 7/11/2015
Page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Chantry Flats - Mt. Wilson Loop 7/10 & 7/11/2015  Reply with quote

I went for a little quickie fun backpack this past weekend, starting after work on Friday.  Take advantage of that Daylight Saving Time. Smile

I was a little worried about water, and rightfully so.  Here's Santa Anita Canyon at the first crossing above the falls.  Bone dry.

Basically, there are major stretches of stream bed that are completely dry, typically sandy or gravelly sections.  In those spots where there is exposed bedrock, there is flowing water.  Not a lot, but there is flow.

After about four miles, one reaches Spruce Grove, which is actually a very nice spot, and there's water right by the camp.  Water flow is actually fairly decent at Spruce Grove.

The trail is in decent shape for the most part, but there is one big tree (45" diameter?) down over the trail shortly before "Halfway Rest" as one climbs the Sturtevant Trail towards Mt. Wilson.

Anyone know anyone on a trail crew that works this area?  May be Dave L?  Position per my GPS is:
34.2263, -118.0480
(11S 0403471E 3787748N)

Speaking of Halfway Rest, didn't there used to be a bench there?

No bench now, but that may just be my poor memory that suggests that there ever was one.

Of course if one persists, one does eventually reach the top.  The little viewing area off to the right (ENE) of the trail is worth visiting.

I think the above viewpoint must be the "Echo Rock" referred to by this trailhead sign atop Mt Wilson.

On my my GPS track of the Chantry Flat - Mount Wilson Loop, the viewpoint is represented by the small red binoculars symbol.

The spigots atop Mt. Wilson are dispensing their liquid gold, but there is a warning sign.

Apparently they haven't done all the required water quality testing.  That's not necessarily an indication of a problem, but drink at your own risk.  I drank some with no apparent ill effects.

Finally, we reached the pavilion.  I had plenty of food, so I didn't patronize the Cosmic Cafe.  This time.

Now, notice the bear can on my lap.  No, that isn't just idle training weight.  There is a "problem bear" in the area who has been raiding people's food.  Apparently he's on to the whole bear bag thing according to some Boy Scouts we had talked to who had spent the night at Hoegees.

Per hikers we talked to, the creek is dry at Hoegees, but supposedly there is water further up Winter Creek per a cabin owner I spoke to.  That's where he gets his water, so I imagine he knows what he's talking about.

Having enjoyed Mt. Wilson's charm, we began our decent.  The trailhead begins on the west side of the big parking lot west of the pavilion.  

The trailhead is marked by a sign, but the trail is some 30 or so feet north of the sign.

Winding our way down the mountain, we returned to Chantry Flats, where we enjoyed celebratory snacks on "the deck" of the Adams Pack Station.  I always try to stop by and throw them some business.  And it is fun to sit out on the deck.  

OTHER WATER INFO
The blue dots on my my GPS track of the Chantry Flat - Mount Wilson Loop are GPS waypoints that represent water.

Waypoint 24 is a small spring on the Winter Creek Trail.  It's flowing, but just barely.

Waypoint 25 is San Olene Canyon.  No real flow, but there was a smallest of trickles and a small pool (really small) just above the trail.  

HJ
outwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout the mix up HJ, I thought you were staying at Hoegees.

Even more impressive, you went up and more up --- and in high-time-snake time!!

I'll never forget coming back from an early fall Mt Wilson hike and having to dodge a few snakes --- those nerves aren't in me anymore...

So this is the kinda of photo I was hoping you had in your bag of tricks and you came through... I can, and will, stare at this peaceful pic more and more, thanks much!!

Joe_the_Hiker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Chantry on Sunday.  I went to check out Adams Falls.  It's a nice off trail hike/scramble but all it is right now is pretty much just a seep.  My group then continued to Sturtevant Falls, another secret waterfall, Hermit Falls, the Old Hermit Falls (making all 5 I know of) and then to the reservoir and some other stops in the canyon.  I'd suggest to anyone planning on hiking to Adams to just wait until we get some real rain.
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outwhere wrote:
Even more impressive, you went up and more up --- and in high-time-snake time!!
 I've never found that region to be particularly more "snakey" than any other.  No snakes at all this time out.

I'll try to remember to post more camp site pics if I can.  Here's a recent high camp:

HJ
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
...continued to Sturtevant Falls, another secret waterfall, Hermit Falls, the Old Hermit Falls (making all 5 I know of) and then to the reservoir and some other stops in the canyon.
 "Old" Hermit Falls?

HJ
HikeUp
Likes Beer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"tastes like chicken"
Laughing

HJ
JeffH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good trip HJ.
Pretty soon they will all be named "dry falls" or "dry creek".
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's getting that way.  The water is surprisingly good at Spruce Grove right now.

HJ
outwhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good 1 Hike up !!  

Tastes like chicken, HJ ??  The way that bag has got you wrapped up, you look a bit more like a 'Coroner' Asada burrito than a chicken burrito...

------

Laughing Laughing Laughing
HikeUp wrote:
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with you people!  Laughing Laughing  

That's a bivy sack.  
Body bag?  Sheesh.  
B i v y s a c k.  C'mon, say it with me, "bivy sack;" you can do it.  Laughing

Seriously though, when the weather is good, it's really nice to just bivy camp, particularly if you're off trail.  A tent is nice for privacy if you're camping near a trail.

With bivy camping, I can see the stars and the world around me.  It's a different experience than being cloistered in a tent.

A bivy is also a really nice option atop a windy peak.  A tent sticks up into the wind and can get damaged or at the very least be a noisy pain in the butt all night.

HJ
arocknoid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!  Wait a minute!  You got a California Campfire Permit for that Gojira thinga-majiggy?  No permit, no fire, buddy.

HJ
outwhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikin_Jim wrote:
What's wrong with you people!  Laughing Laughing  

Body bag?  Sheesh.  

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

HJ, thankfully my tasteless joke had something to do with the highly honored 'Carne Asada Burrito.... and your Bivvy thingy wasn't resembling a Hot Pocket  Razz  

I've been known to eat just about anything but I think I draw the line when it comes to Hot Pockets...

HikinJim, I don't know what happened with me and snakes in such a short amount of time.  I hiked enough times and never saw one and when I did see one, it wasn't that big of a deal --- then within a span of what seemed like minutes, they ganged up on me like I was publice enemy #1.

I knew something was really up when we hiking the east fork up to the Bridge to Nowhere --- in DECEMBER!  Ok, it was a little warm for a December day but I thought 'nah, it's December, we're good'

Ok, so there were only two snake encounters that day but the 2nd one was a rattler and he didn't seem to want to scoot away from the trail...   Crying or Very sad

I realize that many of you encounter snakes quite often and you handle it just fine --- but it became a relatively terrifying problem for me.  It sucks to be quite honest. I just don't know how to break that fear that didn't seem to be too serious only years before.

I wish I could just 'psych myself up' but it seems like I've just 'snaked myself out' more than anything...

Keep up the good steps, HJ...
Hikin_Jim
Stove Droid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No snakes on any of my recent trips although I usually don't freak out if I can see them.  If one lets off with a rattle nearby and I can't see him, then I freak out.

This trip had, of all things, a lot of mosquitoes.  My theory is that the mosquitoes won't breed in a running creek, which is what is usually in the area.  This year, with the drought, there are a lot of stagnant pools, and the mosquitoes are having a field day.

HJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> San Gabriels All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: