Eispiraten.com Forum Index Eispiraten.com
San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly
A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dima

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon  Reply with quote

I got an itch to go climb something today, so a spur-of-the-moment trip was on. I went to Chilao, dropped down a gully (from the start of the road to the Stony Ridge Observatory) to a bigger gully, climbed up a bit, and found equipment:

a mine:

and a shack:

The shack has stuff:

and a large machine:

Wondering how helpful the wheels were in getting this thing out to this steep trailless slope. This is the Bell Hartman mine: http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=631306.txt

Then I descended down the larger gully to meet the Devil's Canyon trail and to Devil's Canyon proper. The gully is mostly dry (a still pool here and there), but has quite a bit of vegetation. If forests of poison oak are your thing, come visit! Thankfully there was very little thorny vegetation.

There're some smaller dryfalls that can be descended without ropes. One dryfall would require a rope, but it could be bypassed on the downclimber's right.

The stream in Devil's Canyon is flowing, but there's not much water there. I would have taken a photo, but was busy photographing this lizard:

Also, it was hot.
Gene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wondering how helpful the wheels were in getting this thing out to this steep trailless slope.

I haven't been to that mine, however I suspect they used a highline to get that compressor set there. A cable is attached attached to a deadman anchor above the placement location and another at a landing location, typically where the winch or hoist is located. The load is suspended from a trolly that rides on the suspended cable. The trolly is moved back and forth using smaller cables attached to a winch. Depending on the setup, the load cable on the trolly can also be raised and lowered by a winch.

The compressor set was built with wheels and I'd guess it was easier to keep them than to build a foundation to mount the compressor. Setting on those wheels also makes it easier to service the compressor and engine. That compressor set was built back in the heyday of durable, built to last cast iron equipment.[/quote]

Last edited by Gene on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean
Cucamonga Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Did you go into the mine?
dima

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene: I was assuming it was lowered with cables somehow, but knew nothing of the specifics. Thanks for the details!

Sean: I went in, but it didn't go back very far. The lagoldmines.com description says 60 feet, which sounds about right to me. That site is all about the shack and compressor, which are super cool.
Joe_the_Hiker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Comment deleted by author.

Last edited by Joe_the_Hiker on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dima

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
Neither give away it's location

I'd like people to at least make a little bit of effort. Big hint: it's marked accurately on the USGS topo map.
Gene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
Wow how funny you should post a trip report about this mine. I've only seen info about it on LA gold mines and on one other website. Neither give away it's location. I've been searching on google earth for a while now looking for the shack. I have a friend who videos and documents mines in the San Gabriel Mountains and have been wanting to do this one with him. He doesn't give away the location, just documents them. Really cool, thanks for posting the trip report!

Does he publish his documentation?

I enjoy vicarious mine trips from here in South Carolina, there is a fellow doing a similar project on YouTube, the channel is, "Exploring Abandoned Mines in CA, NV, and AZ"
Gene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

dima wrote:
Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
Neither give away it's location

I'd like people to at least make a little bit of effort. Big hint: it's marked accurately on the USGS topo map.

Cool
Joe_the_Hiker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Last edited by Joe_the_Hiker on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
Quote:

Does he publish his documentation?

He does. He gives the history of the mine and documents the inside. On some of his videos he puts the general area (so in this case probably Mt. Mooney) but doesn't tell people how to get there or where it is exactly.

Thanks for your response, does he have a YouTube channel or where can I watch his videos?
Mike P
Math Rambo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

dima wrote:

Marked as a tunnel??? Wink
missy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Joe_the_Hiker wrote:
Wow how funny you should post a trip report about this mine. I've only seen info about it on LA gold mines and on one other website. Neither give away it's location. I've been searching on google earth for a while now looking for the shack. I have a friend who videos and documents mines in the San Gabriel Mountains and have been wanting to do this one with him. He doesn't give away the location, just documents them. Really cool, thanks for posting the trip report!

I just took Pharraoh to explore this area not to long ago. You can check out that video here: http://youtu.be/eAWDe-8Hkh4

I stumbled upon this mine by chance a few months ago. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the shack perched on the side of the mountain! Wrote a trip report about it on my website as well: http://angelesadventures.com/bells/

You have quite some determination for finding mines Dima! We should collaborate for some future ones. So much history in these mountains and it's neat to see artifacts I. Front of you only written about in history books. Great trip report!
Joe_the_Hiker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

Last edited by Joe_the_Hiker on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A mine and a gully to Devil's Canyon Reply with quote

missy wrote:
I stumbled upon this mine by chance a few months ago. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the shack perched on the side of the mountain!

Oh wow, that's a great way to find it! I read Hugh Blanchard's report and then studied to topo maps and the aerial imagery. Not as cool, but it worked.
locator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cabin is located here:

3419'0.82"N

118 0'21.23"W

https://www.google.com/maps/place....3168944,-118.0058972,1060m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

If you go please record your trail waypoint KML and share it

Also if you can find any model numbers on that large piece of equipment it would help in identifying exactly what it is and perhaps provide some insight into the goings-on at the mine. Who knows maybe its even possible to locate the descendants of the miners!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> San Gabriels All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: