Archive for Eispiraten.com San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna & Fungi
Wild1

Wildlife images

New to the SG Mtns. and this forum. Love hiking and use trail/game/wildlife motion sensor cameras as a hobby. Can anyone point me in a good general area in the SG Mtns that holds decent numbers of mammals (deer, bear, lions, bobcats...). A canyon, area, stream or similar. Also, any location of a permanent guzzler might be a good area to set up a camera. Thanks in advance!
Elwood

Probably not the best thing for us to post during hunting season?
Wild1

Oops.....didn't realize, thanks. Suppose I'll post again later in the year, after hunting season.
cougarmagic

Elwood has a good point!

I don't know of any guzzlers in the San Gabriels.  There is one in Wrightwood but it's on private property.

Would love to see the images you get on your camera(s) though.
AW

cougarmagic wrote:
Elwood has a good point!

I don't know of any guzzlers in the San Gabriels.  There is one in Wrightwood but it's on private property.

Would love to see the images you get on your camera(s) though.


LOL...good chance of capturing a wild goose in action there too eh? Laughing
tracker

Believe me. There are lots of guzzlers in the SG's. The hunters already know about them.
bsmith

Wildlif images

moved to flora and fauna.
Hikin_Jim

Judging by the number of beer cans, I'd have to agree with you.  

HJ
tracker

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Judging by the number of beer cans, I'd have to agree with you.  

HJ

Dang. He's giving away all my tracking secrets. Laughing
Migolito

Re: Wildlife images

Wild1 wrote:
New to the SG Mtns. and this forum. Love hiking and use trail/game/wildlife motion sensor cameras as a hobby. Can anyone point me in a good general area in the SG Mtns that holds decent numbers of mammals (deer, bear, lions, bobcats...). A canyon, area, stream or similar. Also, any location of a permanent guzzler might be a good area to set up a camera. Thanks in advance!


Above any front country city. Glendora, Glendale, etc. Right now deer are still high-cats will follow the deer down. Bears pretty much moved down already or are at mtn villages. Sheep will be in and around Baldy village after the first big storm dumps big snow. This time of year guzzlers are a waste of time-theres already a lot of water seeping. Guzzlers are good during July-early Sept.
Also, go to the USFS site and look for burns in the last 5 years and you will find deer and cats.
tracker

The food and water supplies are well influenced by human activity on the front-side slopes. Find a well used animal trail where your camera might be safe and you will probably catch something in the lens.
Laughing Heck - Yesterday you could have got some good bear pics at the Rose Bowl; or mountain lion pics at 45th West and Ave. J-2 in Lancaster.
Teejate

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Judging by the number of beer cans, I'd have to agree with you.  

HJ


Guzzlers at the guzzlers.
Yeah...I'd say that's about right.

       Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna & Fungi
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
For many GPS tracks, Google Earth KMZ files and Google Maps for the San Gabriel Mountains and beyond, please visit my website: www.gpsmountaineering.com