Archive for Eispiraten.com San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> Admin & Tech Support

Happy 2 Year Anniversary to this Forum

It seems the 2yr anniversary just passed since this forum initiated.

Since I started reading stuff in this forum in Jan/Feb 08 I have gained so much knowledge it's kinda crazy. I went from asking stupid questions and not knowing where things were to, well, still asking stupid questions but knowing where things are.

Thanks for creating and sharing this forum!

P.S. Need to make the forum searchable on google so people can find it. Whats the deal with that?
Hikin_Jim

Re: Happy 2 Year Anniversary to this Forum

Zé wrote:
It seems the 2yr anniversary just passed since this forum initiated.

Since I started reading stuff in this forum in Jan/Feb 08 I have gained so much knowledge it's kinda crazy. I went from asking stupid questions and not knowing where things were to, well, still asking stupid questions but knowing where things are.

Thanks for creating and sharing this forum!
 TWO YEARS!  HUZZAH!  Smile

Of the people who became members on day one,
Travis
TacoDelRio
hvydrt
san onofre guy
hillbasher
KathyW
Hikin_Jim
HikeUp
Rob
AlanK
muddeer
He219
EManBevHills

many are still around, a testament to the popularity, value, and success of the forum.  Thank you Travis (wherever you are) and Taco.

Zé wrote:
P.S. Need to make the forum searchable on google so people can find it. Whats the deal with that?
For real.  The San Jacintos forum comes right up.
edenooch

no more knee caps!
HikeUp

Yay!
Taco

I'll buy a damn domain name when I can damn afford the damn thing, damnit.

Damn.

It will be www.crustybuttclown.sex
Taco

Actually, it's cheap, I know. I should have one by now.

Probably www.sangabrielmountains.com or org or tv or sex, whatever. Or, we can go with crusty butt clown. The choice is yours.
lilbitmo

Put it to a vote and everyone that votes has to donate a $1 so Taco doesn't have to pay it out of his pocket?

Very Happy
Rob

Taco .... Thank you ....
. . . Rob  Smile
Hikin_Jim

crustybuttclown has a certain ring to it I must admit.   Shocked
Taco

Also, FWIW, I am in school to become an e1337 h4xx0rz. I'll put something together. It's a priority now that you guys made a fuss.  Laughing

My general idea is to make it a user-contributor based site or however you say it, kinda like how you have Summitpost, but simpler (HTML, no GUI editor, I don't think, maybe, maybe not). A site covereing everything in the SG's from closure conditions and avalanche warnings to the best canyon to grow pot and guard with your vato esse friends.
simonov

I wonder if http://forum.socalhikes.com/ would be appropriate?

Maybe better check with Zé first.
Taco

Not specifically a hiking forum, but a forum for SoCal mountains.
simonov

Check out what I did with http://www.guntards.net/

That was pretty easy to set up.  No fancy bells and whistles.
Taco

What's the software? Looks like BH.

c'mon TACO, WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? i'm in to help with whatever. don't make me get a Tick Twister out on you.

even if not getting a nice domain name, there must at least be forums to set up free that get indexed on google at least. this forum's popularity and importance could easily increase with that.
Tim

Btw, for new members or those who haven't seen it, here's a re-cap of SGMDF's first year.

Taco

Zé wrote:
c'mon TACO, WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? i'm in to help with whatever. don't make me get a Tick Twister out on you.

even if not getting a nice domain name, there must at least be forums to set up free that get indexed on google at least. this forum's popularity and importance could easily increase with that.


Any help appreciated. I've used other free forum software before without any positive results.
simonov

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post from October.

I use Textpattern as a CMS and FluxBB for forum software.

http://textpattern.com/

http://fluxbb.org/

I have been working with one of the developers of FluxBB to do some customizations for Bad Harvest, and I am thinking about having him do a major integration of those two applications.  For example, you post an article with Textpattern and instead of commenting on the article, users can post in a forum thread automatically started when the article is posted.

I have combined Textpattern and FluxBB (or PunBB, FluxBB's precursor) on Guntards.net and Mesatactical.com:

http://www.mesatactical.com/

http://www.guntards.net/

They are combined, but not really integrated, except visually.

Another Textpattern site I have set up is here:

http://heidijanemusic.com/

Once I set it up I let the site owner do all the updating.  She hasn't called me for any assistance since the week I put it on-line.

FluxBB is really a very good forum application.  It is clean and simple, with few bells and whistles, and personally I like that.
EManBevHills

Nice, seeing (& listening) to the video, Tim!
Where's the sequel?

so what's the deal with hosting...I see a bunch of free forum hosters (like the one that's being used) but I guess this limits capability? best to just buy  a domain name and put it up there, right? is it hard to transfer archives?
Socalhiker

Congrats to a great forum!
Very Happy
Taco

Zé wrote:
so what's the deal with hosting...I see a bunch of free forum hosters (like the one that's being used) but I guess this limits capability?


Yes.

Quote:
best to just buy  a domain name and put it up there, right? is it hard to transfer archives?


Shouldn't be hard.

I hate to sound like a dick (though I am one), but I can't be bothered to do this at the moment. I have no motivation to do this right now. Right now, as in I will later. I don't know exactly when. Sorry.

       Eispiraten.com Forum Index -> Admin & Tech Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
For many GPS tracks, Google Earth KMZ files and Google Maps for the San Gabriel Mountains and beyond, please visit my website: www.gpsmountaineering.com