Archive for EisPiraten.com San Gabriel Mountains Discussion Forum
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       EisPiraten.com Forum Index -> Other SoCal Ranges
HikeEnthusiast55

Best places to hike in the San Bernardino Mts?

Hey all,

I've been looking a lot at SBD mountains on google earth and different hiking pages. Been there a few times.

Does anyone else feel like the San Gabriels are just superior in some way in terms of nature? There's something more grand, epic and breathtaking about the SGMts than the SBDmts to me. Maybe I'm just biased?
What do you guys think

Also, what are the best places to hike there?

Let's get some thoughts flowing hikebros
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bernardino_Mountains
HikeEnthusiast55

Re: Best places to hike in the San Bernardino Mts?

http://www.hikespeak.com/southern-california/san-bernardino/

http://www.summitpost.org/san-bernardino-mountains/171121
HikeEnthusiast55

Re: Best places to hike in the San Bernardino Mts?

HikeEnthusiast55 wrote:
Hey all,

I've been looking a lot at SBD mountains on google earth and different hiking pages. Been there a few times.

Does anyone else feel like the San Gabriels are just superior in some way in terms of nature? There's something more grand, epic and breathtaking about the SGMts than the SBDmts to me. Maybe I'm just biased?
What do you guys think

Also, what are the best places to hike there?

Let's get some thoughts flowing hikebros
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bernardino_Mountains


Bump
Hikin_Jim

Check out the San Gorgonio Wilderness Message Board.

Which is better the San Gabriels, the San Bernardinos, or the San Jacintos?  Who knows?  What mood am I in that day?  Smile

HJ
HikeEnthusiast55

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Check out the San Gorgonio Wilderness Message Board.

Which is better the San Gabriels, the San Bernardinos, or the San Jacintos?  Who knows?  What mood am I in that day?  Smile

HJ


You don't have any biases at all or reasons for those biases and/or speculations about them?
Taco

The San Berdooz always feel more warm and welcoming, less sharp and pointy and stabby as the San Gabriels. Gentler terrain, better rock, etc. I dig trips there cause it's usually pretty low-key and fun, even if we end up covering a lot of ground. I don't like them more or less than the GS's, they're all different and worth learning about for their own qualities and the strengths brought out by them.

I don't hike for hiking's sake there very often, but I personally dig the 10,000ft Ridge area. High SoCal country with cool views.
outwhere

Taco wrote:
The San Berdooz always feel more warm and welcoming, less sharp and pointy and stabby as the San Gabriels. Gentler terrain


Bam! That!
HikeEnthusiast55

Taco wrote:
The San Berdooz always feel more warm and welcoming, less sharp and pointy and stabby as the San Gabriels. Gentler terrain, better rock, etc. I dig trips there cause it's usually pretty low-key and fun, even if we end up covering a lot of ground. I don't like them more or less than the GS's, they're all different and worth learning about for their own qualities and the strengths brought out by them.

I don't hike for hiking's sake there very often, but I personally dig the 10,000ft Ridge area. High SoCal country with cool views.


Personally I like the stabby jaggedness of the san gabes, they feel more rugged, dangerous and 'old western'

i dig dat

just me maybe
Taco

I dig it too. It keeps it from getting crowded.
HikeEnthusiast55

Taco wrote:
I dig it too. It keeps it from getting crowded.


o yea that's true

also the san gabes feel apocalyptic and other worldly in a dark fantasy kind of way at times
VermillionPearlGirl

I think the San Gabriels are ugly, but not too ugly, which makes them the most loveable Smile I was hiking in Oregon a couple years ago and it was gorgeous. Too gorgeous in fact. It's hard to truly relate to anything that pretty. And I found myself wanting to be back in my much uglier forest.

But when I look at Mt Whitney, I'm like wow that thing is ugly. Like I don't even think a mother could love that. It's an ugly mountain.

So I'm comfortable in mountains that are pretty enough to appreciate nature, but ugly enough to not overwhelm Smile
HikeEnthusiast55

VermillionPearlGirl wrote:
I think the San Gabriels are ugly, but not too ugly, which makes them the most loveable Smile I was hiking in Oregon a couple years ago and it was gorgeous. Too gorgeous in fact. It's hard to truly relate to anything that pretty. And I found myself wanting to be back in my much uglier forest.

But when I look at Mt Whitney, I'm like wow that thing is ugly. Like I don't even think a mother could love that. It's an ugly mountain.

So I'm comfortable in mountains that are pretty enough to appreciate nature, but ugly enough to not overwhelm Smile


bumpa
HikeUp

Otis, my man! STFU.
Hikin_Jim

As much as I appreciate Otis' very relevant input to this discussion, Wink may I suggest the Interactive San Gorgonio Wilderness Map that I've put together as one possible source of information.

I've also laid out six loop trips suitable for strong day hikers or for backpackers, also in the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Not to distract from Otis' brilliant insights of course.  Carry on, Otis.

HJ
HikeUp

Troublemaker.
rck

HJ I must say that whenever I go over to that side of town I always check your maps. Thanks for having them!

       EisPiraten.com Forum Index -> Other SoCal Ranges
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
For many GPS tracks, Google Earth KMZ files and Google Maps for the San Gabriel Mountains and beyond, please visit my website: www.gpsmountaineering.com