EisPiraten.com Forum Index EisPiraten.com
San Gabriel Mountains Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch 
 MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12/14/14 Hawkins Loop

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EisPiraten.com Forum Index -> San Gabriels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bschmalz



Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Posts: 41
Add Comment
Show Comments





PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: 12/14/14 Hawkins Loop  Reply with quote

http://calitrails.com/2014/12/17/...-hawkins-and-south-mount-hawkins/
_________________
http://Calitrails.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mangus7175



Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 147
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were probably the ones who laid those tracks for you.  We hiked up to Windy Gap (on 12/13) with the intent of spending the evening at LJ but decided to car camp at Crystal Lake once we saw how much snow there was at LJ.

Great photos...







First one at the springs...


Snow level at LJ...

_________________
Blog: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
bapolis



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done this loop lately?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sean
Cucamonga Man


Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 1104
MYPAGE
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Monterey Park, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bapolis wrote:
Has anyone done this loop lately?


Uh huh. What's up?
_________________
Hiking Photos On Facebook
Hiking Videos On YouTube
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bapolis



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
bapolis wrote:
Has anyone done this loop lately?


Uh huh. What's up?


Just wondering what the trail condition is. I was thinking of hitting the Modern Hiker route, which appears similar to route above.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sean
Cucamonga Man


Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 1104
MYPAGE
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Monterey Park, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bapolis wrote:
Just wondering what the trail condition is. I was thinking of hitting the Modern Hiker route, which appears similar to route above.


The standard route is Windy Gap Trail to Pacific Crest Trail to Hawkins Ridge Trail to South Mt. Hawkins Fire Road. Windy Gap Trail is in good shape. PCT is good. Hawkins Ridge Trail is in decent shape with a couple faint spots, but it should be easy to follow because it gets used a lot. And the South Mt. Hawkins Fire Road is clear.

When doing South Hawkins, I recommend taking the singletrack trail up and the fire road down. The trail is nice with only one rough spot near the top.
_________________
Hiking Photos On Facebook
Hiking Videos On YouTube
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bapolis



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
bapolis wrote:
Just wondering what the trail condition is. I was thinking of hitting the Modern Hiker route, which appears similar to route above.


The standard route is Windy Gap Trail to Pacific Crest Trail to Hawkins Ridge Trail to South Mt. Hawkins Fire Road. Windy Gap Trail is in good shape. PCT is good. Hawkins Ridge Trail is in decent shape with a couple faint spots, but it should be easy to follow because it gets used a lot. And the South Mt. Hawkins Fire Road is clear.

When doing South Hawkins, I recommend taking the singletrack trail up and the fire road down. The trail is nice with only one rough spot near the top.


Thanks! Looking forward to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bapolis



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the loop yesterday. I made the mistake of starting at noon and paid the price going up the Windy Gap Trail. I didn't realize the section was so hot and sunny. The conditions were better after Windy Gap, though.

There's a section on the Hawkins Ridge Trail (near the junction with Crystal Lake Road) that's overgrown and difficult to find. I recommend bringing a GPS map (I use AllTrails) or having excellent path finding skills. I assume the folks on this forum have at least one of those. Smile

But yeah, yesterday was a reminder that it's summer now and that I should be starting earlier in the day to avoid the heat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HikeUp
Likes Beer


Joined: 27 Sep 2007
Posts: 2808
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't moderno hikeroo tell you that June can be hot? Very Happy
_________________
Hike up! The world's about to end. Flickr.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sean
Cucamonga Man


Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 1104
MYPAGE
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Monterey Park, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bapolis wrote:
I did the loop yesterday ... I recommend bringing a GPS map (I use AllTrails) or having excellent path finding skills ... But yeah, yesterday was a reminder that it's summer now and that I should be starting earlier in the day to avoid the heat.


I'm glad you made the trip up there. Crystal Lake is one of my favorite areas to hike. It's a long, curvy drive, though.

Starting early to avoid the heat of summer months is generally a wise idea. Though you also want to be aware of sun exposure on different trails at different times of the day. For example, the Old Mt. Wilson Trail out of Sierra Madre is exposed to morning sun, because it was built on east-facing slopes. Many people run up it in the summer evenings, when it's mostly shaded, due to the sun being in the west beneath the ridgetop. It's good to know when your trails will be hit hardest by the sun, and plan accordingly.
_________________
Hiking Photos On Facebook
Hiking Videos On YouTube
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
bapolis



Joined: 05 Jun 2017
Posts: 18
Add Comment
Show Comments




Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Starting early to avoid the heat of summer months is generally a wise idea. Though you also want to be aware of sun exposure on different trails at different times of the day. For example, the Old Mt. Wilson Trail out of Sierra Madre is exposed to morning sun, because it was built on east-facing slopes. Many people run up it in the summer evenings, when it's mostly shaded, due to the sun being in the west beneath the ridgetop. It's good to know when your trails will be hit hardest by the sun, and plan accordingly.


Good point. That's definitely an overlooked factor. The sun was directly overhead when we ascended the Windy Gap Trail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EisPiraten.com Forum Index -> San Gabriels All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

"Their only motive was a great ideal; this was what linked together mountaineers so widely dissimilar in background and so diverse in character."
Maurice Herzog, Annapurna